I received an email as a part of the ABC Million Moms Challenge. So I tweeted about pneumonia and how it’s killing children around the world. And it lit up my stream with moms talking about personal experiences with pneumonia: family, friends and children dying from it, secondary diseases as a result like exercise induced asthma and loss of part of their lungs. And contrary to what most of us believe, it is NOT a disease of the elderly.
ABC Million Moms and the United Nations Foundation Shot@LIfe are spreading the word about pneumonia. It is the world’s leading killer of children under the age of 5 and takes the life of one child every 5 seconds. Pneumonia is responsible for taking the lives of more young boys and girls every year than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
Did you know?
• More than 1.5 million children die from pneumonia each year.
• Only 54% of children with pneumonia are taken to a doctor
• Breastfeeding for the first 6 months reduces pneumonia by 15-23%
• Good nutrition for older children, hand-washing, reducing indoor air pollution can help protect children from pneumonia
• Antibiotics for treating pneumonia generally cost $1 per dose.
And did you know 2 million children and adults die from respiratory diseases like pneumonia related to toxic smoke from dirty cook stoves and open fires?
You can learn more about this and follow several organizations on Facebook. And we can use social media to spread the word about this heartbreaking issue.
1. World Pneumonia”> Million Moms Challenge
2. World Pneumonia Day
3. Cooking Shouldn’t Kill
4. United Nations Foundation Shot@Life