NBC News recently ran this video. It’s heartbreaking. Staten Island was hit so hard. But with so many families and children affected by Hurricane Sandy, it’s hard to know where to help. And you have to be aware of the scam agencies unfortunately.
12 Ways You Can Help With The Aftermath of Sandy.
Here are 12 places to donate your time, money or simply your blood. And if you think your $10 won’t help, think again. Micro-donations funded last year’s winning presidential campaign.
And if you can’t spare any money, you can always give blood. It’s doesn’t cost anything, yet it’s priceless.
1. The Red Cross is in need of blood and donations. To donate simply text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. www.redcross.org
2. New York Blood Center is another place if you are local to give blood www.nybloodcenter.org
3. World Vision is giving emergency assistance to families. http://www.worldvision.org/
4. New York Cares is looking for volunteers and working locally to aid people. newyorkcares.org/donate_now/
5. K.I.D.S is working with multiple agencies to collect goods and supplies. kidsdonations.org
6. Feeding America is working on providing food and much needed water. feedingamerica.org
7. Save The Children is mobilizing people and collecting donations. www.savethechildren.org
8. The Salvation Army is also helping with meals and clothing. You can text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation. www.salvationarmy.com
9. Amercares is distributing supplies. www.americares.org/
10. Barney’s is donating 10% of all sales and pledging a $50,000 donation. www.barneys.com
11. Human Society is helping stranded pets. Text the word HUMANE to 80888 to donate $10. www.humanesociety.org
12. Habitat for Humanity is taking donations to help rebuild homes. 800-HABITAT (422-4828) www.habitatforhumanity.org