A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about not calling Moms Mommy bloggers, call them Social Media Moms as they are so much more than Mommy bloggers. Well, Twitter Moms is now changing their name to SocialMoms.com
Here’s what Megan Calhoun had to say in her email to all the Twitter Moms.
“We are officially changing our name to SocialMoms.com in January 2011!
Thanks to your support and guidance, TwitterMoms has grown from a fan site (making it easier for moms to find each other on Twitter) into a community dedicated to helping influential moms build their personal brands in social media. In many ways, we’ve outgrown the name TwitterMoms. Then in September, Twitter, Inc. asked us to remove Twitter from our domain name. We were more than happy to oblige.
To that end, we wanted you to be among the first to know that we are changing our name to SocialMoms.com in early January 2011. For the full scoop, please read this detailed blog post on TwitterMoms.com. Be on the lookout for a refreshed (and hopefully cleaner) look-and-feel to accompany our brand new name.
As we’ve done in years past, here’s a look back at things from 2010 we’ve accomplished together as a community:
* We worked with dozens of journalists, editors and producers to get our members featured or quoted in top-tier media outlets including the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, NBC/iVillage, national syndicated talk shows and more — by distributing targeted media opportunities to our moms through our RAMBO alerts. You won’t find these opportunities anywhere else.
* We’ve invested heavily in the resources required to support a community of our size. We now have six full time employees dedicated to servicing you.
* Hundreds of moms who particiapted in our blogging programs collectively earned more than $160,000 in 2010, at an estimated hourly rate of $30-$100 per hour for writing great content for their readers.
* Because of your participation, we were able to help direct tens of thousands of dollars to charitable causes in 2010.
* Many of our moms and content partners earned premium CPMs for carrying our widgets on their high-traffic blogs and communities, earning them two to five times what they previously earned with Google Adsense. Please e-mail Sasha if you have a high traffic blog so we can work with you to monetize your traffic with our premium ad inventory.
* We collectively launched the world’s first “social seal of approval”, paying members $75 per hour to put various products through their paces in exchange for their honest quantitative and qualitative feedback.
* We regularly invite members of our community to participate as Twitter party hostesses, to help them build their followings and get more exposure.
* Many of our moms developed relationships directly with the quality brands we presented to them, creating follow-on opportunities for growth.
* More than 30+ of our moms are now featured in our partner’s mobile app, gaining friends, fans and followers — all at zero cost to the moms participating. It’s a benefit of being a member. We hope to substantially broaden this program in 2011.
* We say “no” to many of the requests we get from brands. Still, not everything we offer will appeal to everyone or reflect your personal brand. We understand this and that’s why our programs are always opt-in: you choose what brands, programs, or causes you want to be associated with. You are in charge of your personal brand.
We thank you for being such an important part of a great community. We hope you take advantage of all we have to offer in 2011. It’s going to be our best year yet, and we want you to be a part of it! If you have ideas or suggestions on how we can improve the services we offer, please let us know by leaving a comment on this blog post.
On behalf of the entire team, we are grateful for your support and the opportunity to work for you every day. We are humbled and honored to help you grow your personal brands through social media. We look forward to a fun, productive year coming up in 2011 and beyond as “SocialMoms”. Again, look for the official switch coming in January 2011.